Sunday, December 31, 2006

Am I Sure???

It's almost midnight on Saturday night. My DH, Alex, is installing my new kitchen sink and garbage disposal. I detested the sink that was in the kitchen. It was made of some weird material and always looked dirty. I don't know how many of my shirts have bleach stains on them due to my using bleach to clean the sink.

A few nights ago we had a date night - which translates: we went to Home Depot together to look at home improvement options. As mundane as that may sound, I actually really enjoy doing this with DH as it gives us time together and an opportunity to fulfill what was, for too many years, only a dream for the future. All those years living in Navy Housing and DH being at sea on a submarine have finally turned into the reality of being homeowners.

So, off we went on date night - something that may be a thing of the past until our four year old gets older due to a MAJOR meltdown she had while we were out. But I digress . . . Off to Home Depot we go to look at sinks and faucets. We agreed on the ONE sink that would work for us based on size, color, and availability. White, porcelain, double sink. Pretty basic. Very similar to what we put in at 62 Oakwood when we remodeled the kitchen there. There aren't a lot of options when buying off the rack and needing to find a sink that can be just dropped into the hole through the laminate counter that already exists.

We chose a fixture for the sink based on my mother's needs. I was always afraid of her burning herself with the fixture we currently had since the single handle would often be left on the hot side, causing one to be scalded when one turned on the water if one was not careful. Since being careful and Alzheimer's don't often crosspaths, this was an issue. So, we chose a fixture that would be comfortable to Mum's hands (no sharp edges) and also with hot and cold handles, as well as a separate spray feature. As you can see, much thought went into these purchases. Oh, we also picked up the garbage disposal for under the sink and chose a special switch that we hope will be safe for Mum to use IF she uses it (she doesn't have to worry about having wet hands when she touches it).

Tonight was the big night. Alex had to work all day on end of year reports. When he got home, he put dinner together for me as I was working with my Mum going through some of her boxes. Then the big moment came: Alex lifted the old sink out of the counter and placed the new sink in the opening to check out the size and placement. I love it! Then I hear the words, "Are you sure??"
K: "What do you mean, "Am I sure?"
DH: "Well, I just want to make sure you like this. Are you sure you'll be happy with this? It's not much different from the one that I just took out."
K: "You've got to be kidding! The old sink is disgusting! It may have been a top of the line sink at one time, but the old homeowners did SOMETHING that stripped the sink of its finish and now its just stained horribly. YES! I'm SURE!"
DH: "Are you sure there wasn't anything else at HomeDepot that you liked better?"
K: "NO! There was nothing! This was it!! We looked at one other sink, but you convinced me that THIS one was the best! Yes, I'm sure! PLEASE, install it!!!"

Did he really think I was going to change my mind after waiting more than a year for a new sink in this house? It took us forever to be able to go to HomeDepot together to pick the sink. I told him while at HomeDepot that I wasn't leaving without a sink. Yes, the sink we brought home really was the sink I wanted! We even looked at Lowe's last night -- almost a date night, although we had Chloe with us. We didn't see any sinks we liked there.

I can almost smell the thrill of victory. DH has the new drain in, the faucet installed and he's getting ready to lift the sink into place. It's now 12:30am. I don't know if he's going to take the time to install the garbage disposal tonight or not. I don't even know if the pipes are going to be reconnected. I'm thinking he may want to wait until morning. I can wait. I'm looking forward to seeing water come out of that new spout though! Maybe I'll take a picture and have Zach teach me how to upload it onto my blog!

Good night!

1 comment:

batgirl said...

Congratulations on the new sink, AND on getting hubby to actually install it. You go girl! I'd love to see your house one day. Happy New Year!