This morning I rose at 3:50am to get dressed and ready myself for some marathon shopping. PlushDuck (M.King), after a little persuasion, opted to join me this year so that she could reach a better understanding as to WHY her friend gets up before the crack of dawn the morning after Thanksgiving to do something she dreads: Shop! I enjoy shopping. I enjoy the hunt. There's a certain thrill in finding just the right thing at just the right price at just the right time. It's even more of a thrill if there are only a limited number available and I happen to bag one (kind of like bagging a deer when hunting, I think).
Not one to want to be called a Wus- (how is that word spelled??), PlushDuck agreed to meet me in my driveway at 4:30am. I put the trash out for Zach and waited for the Duck to arrive. Arrive she did - at 4:50am. Apparently she didn't wake up until 4:30 and made a mad-dash here to meet me. I'm impressed! She made it in record time and looked none the worse for wear. I wish I looked half as good when I roll out of bed.
I had my list made - I'd checked it more than twice - and knew the route we would take on our mission. We headed to Sears first to get one of the 200 $10 gift cards being handed out. Before I could get out of the van, two fellow shoppers let us know that Sears had done the unthinkable -- they gave out the gift cards at 4am!!!! Who in their right mind would be standing at Sears at 4am for a $10 gift card?? 5am - okay, that's understandable; but 4am??? Village Idiots! With Sears crossed off my list, we headed to JCPenney to get one of the free mini-snowglobes featuring my family's favorite character, Mickey Mouse! PlushDuck doesn't share my affection for the Mouse, but did take a free snowglobe.
Following our in-and-out at JCPenney, we made a B-line for Toys-R-Us. That was an experience the Duck won't soon forget, I'm sure. Hundreds of shoppers waited in line with their carts to enter the store. A Dunkin Donuts truck was there giving out small coffees (unfortunately, it was light and sweet and turned my stomach - BLAH!). We made our way into the store and started shopping. A man with a megaphone directed people and assured shoppers that there was plenty of merchandise for everyone. (Even, I, a veteran of Black Friday shopping found that a bit unsettling.) We picked up a few things for the youngest princess and an item I wanted for the prince. One more store crossed off the list.
Linen and Things was next, but we had 20 minutes to kill so we headed down Route 85 to Dunkin' Donuts for coffee for me and tea for the Duck. At L&T we were able to get the gift I had gone there for - a gift for my Mum. Yeah! I hope she likes it! I used my 20% off coupon saving me $20! Following L&T, we stopped back at my home to pick up the Duck's car and headed over the bridge to her side of the world.
Our final stop together was to Kohls'. This stop involved the majority of my shopping list. Apparently it involved the majority of many people's shopping list as Kohl's was out of many of the things that they advertised for their 5AM opening. Granted, we didn't get there until 6:30am, but I was surprised so much was gone already. It seems there were many people shopping for Dora's Cash Register. Still, I was able to pick up a few gifts that I specifically went for as well as a pair of brown cords and a few pins for myself. The line for the register was back to the appliance section of the store, so after a while, the Duck abandoned me and went home to get her daughter and go tag her Christmas tree. I finished up in line (earned $20 in Kohls' cash to use this coming week!), was in my car again by 8:30am and made a critical decision: I was NOT done shopping!
On to Macy's!! I had a $10 off coupon, as well as a 15% off shopping coupon. I went looking for an item for my sister (I don't want to say what in case she reads this). Success!! I think she'll love it!! I picked up a pink turtleneck sweater for myself to go with the brown cords I purchased earlier. Mmmm . . . I seemed to do very well shopping for myself. But, this is Christmas! I'm supposed to be shopping for others, not myself, so I have to be good from now on!
All in all, I spent $308.65. However, I SAVED somewhere in the ballpark of $294.19. Not bad. And, I still have $20 in Kohls' cash to spend at Kohls this week! Thirteen gifts purchased; I don't know how many still to go. Mmmm. I guess I better check my list . . .
1 comment:
I guess blogging about your shopping victories and bargains is something akin to hanging the old deer head on the wall:) Good for you. Sounds like a fun time. I was at Kohl's today. Got my hubby a t-shirt that says, "I'm on Santa's diet." There's a picture of a glass of milk and a plate of cookies. He loves it. Also got my shopping for my sister's family in Indiana all done. Now to wrap and ship...
Post a Comment